Thomas B. Gorrill
ATTORNEY AT LAW
Thomas Gorrill was born in Columbus, Ohio. The son of a military officer, he moved frequently. Tom lived in Ohio, Massachusetts, and Kansas before he began grade school in England. He also lived for several years in Florida and Texas before settling in San Diego in 1978.
Mr. Gorrill graduated from the California Western School of Law in 1981. Upon passing the California bar exam Tom worked as collections counsel for a San Diego corporation and was contract manager for a local software company. In 1984 he began working in private practice in areas of creditor and debtor rights as well as related civil litigation.
Tom’s first bankruptcy matters were consumer Chapter 7 and 13 cases for individuals and sole proprietors. Several years later he joined a larger firm and represented bankruptcy trustees and businesses in Chapter 11 reorganizations. He has been in solo practice for over 15 years.
Mr. Gorrill has tried numerous cases before the bankruptcy court in San Diego, most involving creditor objections to the debtor’s discharge or actions to determine whether a debt is dischargeable in bankruptcy. Few consumer bankruptcy lawyers accept litigation matters or take them to trial.
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, California
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence – 1981
- Florida International University, Miami, Florida
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts – 1975
- In re: Sandoval, 186 B.R. 490
- In re: Emelity, 251 B.R. 151
- In re: Beaty, 268 B.R. 839
- In re: Beaty, 306 F.3d 914
- California State Bar, 1982
- San Diego County Bankruptcy Forum
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- San Diego Inns of Court College of Advocacy
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy – Bankruptcy Litigation
- Creditors' Rights
- California, 1982
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1982
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1986
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1989
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1986
- AV, Martindale-Hubbell